Sunday, April 14, 2013

Flaccid Horticulture

I hereby pledge allegiance to my blog. Se lo prometo (I promise)!

My sudden "go-getter" attitude (For the amount of work I do here, keeping up with a blog definitely falls under the "go-getter" description of efforts) can be directly credited to the rapid change in weather over the past couple of days. 

For the past 2 months it has rained in Sevilla the most it has ever rained in 66 years! Que suerte yo (How lucky I am!)

Regardless, it hasn't held me back in the least and I intend to unravel my incredible time in Sevilla until now starting.....

NOWadays, 

Sevilla is saturated with the richest combination of weather, smells, sites, and overall energy I have ever experienced, or could have imagined. I love looking up in to the blue sky and working my way down first to the heavy reds, oranges, yellows, and distinct blues of all the Spanish buildings and their copious details, then to the same buildings' sleek black railings bombarded with an array of flaccid horticulture infinitely having a siesta (nap) as they drape their long arms through the bulbed railings and over the tiny stone balcony's edge (there is just something about the contrast between the luscious green of the plants and the black railings that I adore), next I see the rich green orange-trees speckled with a big fat orange here and there...

(The orange trees deserve an aside. Sevilla is covered in these beautiful orange trees. When I first arrived they were the first thing I noticed. Their thick green leaves and fat oranges line every street. A couple of weeks ago the city stripped all of the trees of their oranges to prepare for the new ones. At first I was disappointed because the oranges were gone but their presence has been replaced with the trees overwhelmingly wonderful smell that blankets the entire city. The closest smell I can use to describe this is that of jasmine. Its so fresh! Every day as I walk home from school I pluck a leaf here and there and keep it pressed against my nose. Hell yea I get a lot of funny looks, but, its merecer la pena (worth it). )

...and finally my eyes fall upon los espaƱoles, the people of Sevilla! You could never feel abandoned or  stranded in Sevilla. The streets are always full of Sevillanos of all types and ages everyday, and at mostly any time. But, the description of Sevillanos needs a post of its own.  

Since my homegirl, Kellianne (my best friend who I lived with in Philadelphia for three years) visited me from her study-abroad in Rome, Italy, I haven't slept much in the past couple of days...it's time. 

Because it is time for me to sleep...I leave you with this wonderful song I found with my couch-surfing host, Elena, in Barcelona last weekend. After I told her I am a Lou Reed fan she showed me Mr. Reed's wife's music (which is fantastic, check it out) and we both stumbled upon this Lou Reed and wife, Laurie Anderson, gem... disfruta! (enjoy!)



No comments:

Post a Comment